You set to commit two hours per day using Kiamboy for your side projects. That's a very tight time constraints. When you try to get a lot of things done in a short time, they can't be random things. They must be the right things. Pareto's Law is one of your tools to choose the right things to do.
Introducing Pareto's Law
Pareto's Law is also known as 80/20 rule or Pareto Distribution. It states 80% of outputs come from 20% of inputs. This principle applies in many areas for example:
- 80% of sales comes from 20% of clients.
- 80% of the world's wealth controlled by 20% of the population.
- 80% of the productivity resulted by 20% of the employees.
- 80% of the app's usages come from 20% of the features.
80/20 Rule for Side Projects
When you have a very limited time and resources, considering Pareto's Law is a must. If you are making an app, find 20% of the features that drive the usages and focus on just that and eliminate the other 80%.
It also applies to writing tasks. I can't write random things in this blog. What I write must be part of 20% of topics that convert readers related to my product.
Does 80/20 Mean Losing the 80%?
In the first example above: 80% of sales comes from 20% of clients. You might think you are losing money when you let go the 80%. The answer is no.
By eliminating the 80%, you can focus on serving the 20% and get more revenue from them. So most of the time, you will get more money. Not to mention the cost of operation and support if you keep the 80%.
When it comes to your side projects, the same thing applies. If you are making an app, focusing on 20% of the features is the best thing you can do considering almost all software are bloated now. Now you see you can make a great little app in your spare time.
Do one thing, and do it well